You may apply for a Marriage License at any County Recorder/Registrar in Iowa if the ceremony is to be performed in Iowa. Marriage applications are accepted in Shelby County between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm.
A Marriage License may be applied for in person or by mail:
** Please be sure to include phone number(s) & the address you’d like your certified copy mailed to once you’re married.
If applying in person:
· The parties to be married and one witness all must be 18 years of age or older) must appear in person.
· All three people must present photo identification (driver’s license, state ID or passport)
· $35.00 application fee, which includes the cost of a certified copy of the Marriage Certificate
· Payable in cash, by check, money order or credit card, payable to Shelby County Recorder.
If applying by mail:
· The signatures of the parties to be married and one witness (all must be 18 years of age or older) must be notarized
by a Notary Public in the state in which it was signed.
· A copy of photo identification is required of all 3 parties.
· $35.00 application fee, as stated above.
In Shelby County, the marriage license is issued after a four (4) day waiting period. Either of the parties to be married is requested to pick up the marriage license, unless they authorize in writing someone else to pick it up. Once the license is picked up, the actual marriage may occur. The license must be picked up within six (6) months of the date of application; once it is picked up it is good forever.
The officiant is responsible for returning the Certificate of Marriage to the Recorder/Registrar within fifteen (15) days after the date of marriage. The individuals are reminded to sign their names as they will be after marriage; all signatures must be in black ink, as per state regulations. After the Certificate is received by the County Recorder/Registrar and placed of record, a certified copy will be mailed to the couple at the address provided by the couple
Iowa Department of Public Health